Mare Island History
Mare Island, California – former U.S. Naval Shipyard. Commissioned in 1852 and decommissioned in 1993, Mare Island has a mix of single-family homes and large businesses. The new homes are fashioned to blend in with the original historic homes – several of which were sold.Mare Island History
Courtesy of Maggie Tan, Coldwell Banker. Mare Island Specialist
Pre – 1775: Historians believe the Native American presence on the island dates back 2000 years.
1775: The low, sandy island in San Pablo Bay is discovered by European settlers when explorer Don Felix Ayala sails into San Francisco Bay.
1835: When Mare Island was renamed. According to legend, General Vallejo’s white mare had fallen overboard from a barge during transport across the Carquinez Strait, only to reappear days later ashore.
1852: Commodore John Drake Sloat recommends to President Millard Fillmore that 800 acres comprising Mare Island be purchased to establish the first Naval yard and ammunition depot on the Pacific Coast.
1854: With Commander David Farragut as commanding officer, the Mare Island Naval Yard begins to support the Pacific Squadron.
1859: The first ship built at Mare Island, the Saginaw (we built the hull), is a paddle-wheel gunboat constructed of white oak from Petaluma. Over the next 123-plus years, 513 numbered vessels will be built. Another 1,227 will be repaired or overhauled at the Mare Island Naval Shipyard.
1871: The island’s first Naval Hospital – and a first for the West Coast – is completed. Severely damaged in the 1898 Mare Island earthquake; its successor, during World War II, will gain international acclaim for its work in prosthetics for veterans.
1889: Electrical lights come to the island.
1898: The March 30th earthquake causes significant damage to some island structures, including the original brick officer’s quarters along Walnut Ave. The street is rebuilt with the white Italianate mansions which are seen today.
1904: The first radio message transmitted on the Pacific Coast is sent from Mare Island to the hospital ship Solace. Contact lasts 75 miles. Submarines or “divers” begin exercises in San Pablo Bay. The underwater trips are short and crew members are required to file a will before diving.
1906: San Franciscans are evacuated to the island following the Great Earthquake.
1910: The Department of Agriculture uses the island as an arboretum for the testing of new plants, introducing many rare species.
1911: Mare Island builds the Navy’s first aircraft landing platform on the deck of the Pennsylvania. Aviator Eugene Ely successfully tests it by landing on the ship while it is anchored in San Francisco Bay.
1912: The island launches Jupiter, which would later become the Navy’s first aircraft carrier after being rechristened Langley in 1922.
1914: Franklin Delano Roosevelt, accompanied by his wife Eleanor, visits Mare Island to discuss increasing the yard’s ship building capabilities. The first automobile arrives on the island.
1918: With the USS Ward, Mare Island sets a WWI record for shipbuilding speed when she is completed in 17 1/2 days. Shop leagues in baseball and softball become popular with highly competitive play. The Mare Island Marines defeat the Army team from Fort Lewis, Washington 19-7 in the Rose Bowl on New Year’s day.
1919: During the launching of the yard’s only battleship, California, the huge ship breaks free across Mare Island Channel towards Vallejo, swamping boats and the ferry slip in its wake. Locals describe the ship as “heading up Georgia Street.” No repair bill is ever submitted to the Navy.
1930: The yard launches its first submarine, Nautilus, as well as its first cruiser, Chicago.
1933: In lieu of the traditional champagne, the cruiser San Francisco is christened with water from the newly completed Hetch Hetchy Dam. The Constitution, better known as “Old Ironsides,” visits the island on its last voyage.
1939-1944: Mare Island reaches its highest productivity during World War II and is one of the busiest shipyards in the world. Employment peaks somewhere between 41,000 and 48,000 workers, including 9,000 women. Over 1,000 Quonset huts are built to help house the growing workforce.
1941: The Grapevine, Mare Island’s longest running newspaper, is first published.
1954: Mare Island celebrates its 100th anniversary with an extravagant, four day affair, attracting thousands.
1965: The Navy combines Mare Island and Hunter’s Point Naval Shipyard under one command.
1966: In honor of her birth city’s founder, the nuclear submarine Mariano G. Vallejo is commissioned to great fanfare.
1970: The Navy dissolves the Mare Island – Hunter’s Point joint-operating arrangement.
1975: The National Parks Service names 45 Mare Island buildings National Historic Landmarks. Revenue from submarine overhaul and refueling totals $288,229,000.
1988: The Mare Island workforce numbers approximately 10,000. It is the second largest Navy Yard in the U.S.
1989: Downsizing begins.
1993: Mare Island is included on the Base Realignment and Closure Commission’s closure list. President Bill Clinton approves the recommendation, which is then accepted by Congress. At the time, there are 5,800 civilians employed at the shipyard.
1995: Mare Island Historic Park Foundation is founded.
1996: Mare Island Naval Shipyard is officially closed on April 1.